Pages

Mar 10, 2017

Sonic the Hedgehog

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to another discussion! Today, I will fulfill a request by one of my good friends, Ryan. He has asked me to share my knowledge of the Sonic the Hedgehog games. So, go and grab a six pack o' Mt. Dew and a Family Size bag o' your favorite Doritos... This is gonna be a long one! 
           Image result for Sonic the Hedgehog

First let me give you the history of Sonic... The first Sonic game, titled Sonic the Hedgehog, was a platform game released in 1991 that featured Sonic [(a blue hedgehog, wearing only white gloves and red Nike's)JK I have no idea what kind of shoes he wears] running through the game's levels in order to stop Doctor Robotnik from taking over the world, with his animalic machiny things. The game focused Sonic's ability to run and to jump at high speeds with the use of springs, checkpoints, and loops. 

Then... There was a sequel! Sonic the Hedgehog 2, another platform game, that was released in 1992. This one increased the overall size and speed of the series' gameplay and was the second best-selling Genesis game of all time. Think about that for a second... OF ALL TIME! The game introduced Sonic's sidekick, Miles "Tails" Prower, who followed Sonic throughout the game, and allowed a second player to control him in a limited fashion. This game also added Sonic's "spin dash" maneuver, which allowed Sonic to boost forwards quickly from a complete standstill, unlike the previous game, where Sonic could only gain speed with momentum. I personally really liked this feature.

Now... You know it's a good game when they make multiple sequels of the original. Sonic the Hedgehog 3, was a third platform game in the Sonic series released in 1994. The game introduced a temporary shield maneuver, added new shield types to the series, and allowed Tails to fly under a player's control. It also introduced a new character, Knuckles the Echnida, who served as an additional antagonist with Doctor Robotnik for the game. 

Now... I was not alive when these games originally came out, however, I still played them when I was a young child. A friend of mine--I actually forget his name--had one of those old Nintendo things where you had to put the cartridge in, then take it out, then blow on it, and put it back in... And only then did the game load. I played the original with him. 

Then, there were all kinds of "add-ons" that were made and "spin-off" games. All the way until the next Sonic game
made in the 'series'... Sonic Adventure, a launch title for the Dreamcast, was released in 1998 in Japan and 1999 in North America. Then, its sequel, Sonic Adventure 2, was released for the Dreamcast in 2001, and was the last game in the series to be released for the Sega platform. But, neither went very well. Then another game came out where they introduced Shadow the Hedgehog who was never one of my favorite characters, simply because of the fact that I could never tell if he was a hero or a villain... I actually forget which game that was though... A few more Sonic games came out, but... The only one that I actually ever owned, that I could play myself--without going over to a friend's house--was Sonic Unleashed, which came out for PS3 in 2008. 

I remember that the intro cutscene was Sonic attacking an armada of Eggman's spaceships (in space... If it wasn't obvious) and Eggman tricks Sonic into chasing him into the lab of his Mother Ship. Then Eggman turns on a machine that drains the energy of the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic's body. Then, all that power is put into a laser that is shot at Earth. Then, it becomes a Jekyll and Hyde story. At night, Sonic becomes a monster but at day, Sonic is normal. And there's this little annoying thing that fallows you around named Chip. The reason that I find it annoying is because all he would do throughout the game was say "SONIC!" or "HEY!" when you needed to draw your attention to a tutorial... Or he just wanted to tell you something. It has been so long since I played the game... I forget how it ends.

That is the extent of my knowledge of the Sonic universe. If you would like to know more... Consult the Internet. He knows far more than I do about EVERY SONIC ADD-ON OR SPIN-OFF... EVER! I would love to receive more topics from you guys! I feel like it would be a great way to see what I know and interact with you all, at the same time. Thank you for reading, please stay tuned for more! Remember to post your comments in the comment section bellow.

A quick shout-out to Ryan for giving me a topic. Thanks, buddy! 

5 comments:

  1. You should make the font bigger, that was a bit hard to read. Besides that, splendid blog post, nice information!
    I'm surprised by the lack of "GOTTA GO FAST, DUH DUN DUH, GOTTA GO FAST, DUH DUN DUH, MOVING AT SPEED OF SOUND, FASTEST HEDGEHOG AROUND", but still splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about the font size... When it was in the development stage, the font was bigger than this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great overlook on a series! I do have another suggestion. Now, take a single game and play through it (at your own pace, of course) and talk about it afterwards. If i had to suggest one that passed my radar (but one I still haven't played), see if you can try Resident Evil 4 (or any other game of your choosing from any series).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... Very well. Challenge accepted!

    But... Due to the fact that I have a lot of younger siblings, the game might not be as cool as one of the Resident Evil games.

    ReplyDelete